Monday, July 31, 2006

New neighbors

Notice anything unusual about the wreath on our front door? When I went out to water my flower boxes last night I noticed pieces of trash and sticks scattered on the stoop, then turned around to find that a robin had built a nest on top of the wreath while we were gone. Looks so natural, huh? I took a picture of the inside of the nest, which looked almost complete but the mud was still wet. No eggs.

This morning I watched the robin through the glass panels as he fussed around with the nest. A few minutes ago I gently opened the door to check the mail and found that the nest had fallen on the ground sometime this morning. How sad. I'm going to leave it there (and the base of it that's still in the wreath) in case he wants to have another go at it.

Update: Mr. Robin was back at work on the nest at lunchtime, so we'll see what happens. I would love to have little blue eggs and robin chicks, but I may have to stop using the front door.

No comments: