Monday, February 11, 2008

Random thoughts on creativity

"Sometimes it’s so hard to find what it is I’m trying to say. People might think you can turn creativity on and off, but it’s not like that. It just kinda comes out; a mash-up of all these things you collect in your mind. You never know when it’s going to happen, but when it does it’s like magic. It’s just that simple, and it’s just that hard." -Gwen Stefani in an ad for HP

For you creative types who sit around waiting for your muse to speak: "Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working" -Pablo Picasso

Check out this book by Twyla Tharp if you need more discipline in your creativity. She's a choreographer (think Movin' Out), but her philosophy applies to other art forms.

"Making beads in your mind in the bathtub and actually sitting down and MAKING them is a whole different cup of tea." -Corina Tettinger

This is particularly true for me. I get a great idea in my head, and once I've figured out the logistics of making something or I have a design down on paper, the problem has been solved and I move on to something else without actually making the piece.

No comments: