Friday, March 22, 2013

Tree of Life

When I get a fun custom order I like to share the story behind it.  Recently I was contacted by Keith who wanted a special piece of jewelry made for his wife. "We married on Oct 8th 2011, and my wife included my two daughters, Morgan and Paige in the ceremony (along with our 12 other nieces and nephews).  The day was beautiful and my wife made everyone weep (including me) when she surprised everyone by making vows to my two daughters also.  She vowed to always be there for me and my daughters, because she was not only marrying me and committing to me, she was also marrying my daughters.  My daughters realize how lucky we all are to have her in our lives.  I only hope part of her rubs off on my girls and being with her makes them strong, independent, kind, caring, selfless women someday.  As I blabber on......I hope that you can help me......I am desperately trying to find someone who will make a special piece for my wonderful, loving wife."

How could I resist?  Plus, unlike some well-meaning sweet husbands I work with, Keith had a good idea of what he wanted.  "My thoughts were a chunky rectangular bracelet or necklace with a family tree design, with possibly the kids' names and/or birthstones somehow incorporated.  I want the center of the piece to simply state 'BLESSED', because everyday we are blessed to have her in our lives."  He even sent me pictures of different jewelry pieces he liked so I knew we were on the same page.  I sketched (a rarity - I usually just start sawing and stamping)... 




...and he tweaked the design, and finally this is what I created.


Dillion is Irish, meaning "faithful"

I love the oxidized sterling, the chunky chain, how the focal piece is curved to fit her wrist.  I even used the compound leaf* stamp for probably the first time since I bought it several years ago.  The trunk was created with I and Y stamps, and I added serifs to the B to make the block capital look prettier with the lowercase Kismet font stamps.  Most importantly, Keith loved the finished product and gave me permission to share his sweet words about his wife.

*See?  I'm totally using my Biology degree. A compound leaf is one in which several leaflets share a single petiole.  I bet you didn't know I was a plant nerd.  Don't get me started on whorled leaves!




2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Um, totally new you were a plant nerd!
Beautiful story and bracelet!
Cheryl

Patti Vanderbloemen said...

This is so beautiful...the story was, too!