Thursday, November 09, 2006

I heart NY

This morning I got a call from Steve, who had left before dawn for a conference in New Jersey. He had forgotten something and would I bring it to him? Sure, no problem. So I'm on my way to New Brunswick and I realize that it's on the Northeast Corridor line. AND I was planning to place an order with a company in NYC today. AND the train station was just a couple blocks from Steve's hotel. See where I'm going with this?

My friend Laura and her sister were spending the weekend in the city, so I called her from the train to see where they were. It turns out they were just a few cars in front of me on the same train.

I always want to cram too much stuff into one day in the city. Honestly I could probably spend about 2 1/2 days in the back room of my metals supplier before needing food or sleep. There are thousands of bins of everything from sterling silver tubing to brass stampings to carving wax. To top it off, Steve tells me that he owes me big for this favor I did for him. Any time I can put off doing what I should be doing in favor of going shopping in New York is not putting me out.

I finally have my very own cupola punch (aka mushroom former) to make gently doming things even easier. It's a sickness, really. Becky had a Hungarian coin in her wallet while I was in Alabama and I talked her into letting me dome it for jewelry. I see Riley's ID tags and wonder what they would look like gently domed. I'm thinking of making her a (gently domed) tag that reads, "Will work for cheese."

No comments: