Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Another JD story

One summer during college my brother and I were counselors at a youth retreat. I wanted to play a prank on him, so one afternoon another staffer and I sneaked into the guys' bunkhouse and took Tom's clothes. I wrote a ransom note with my left hand; the demand was for him to sing Thank God I'm a Country Boy in front of the whole camp. Sometime before dinner Tom found me and looked distressed. I figured he had figured out it was me just from the song I chose. "I have to sing this song in front of the whole camp. Will you help me remember the words?" Graciously I gave up my pool time to help him write them out, and at dinner he stood on a chair and belted out the song in front of the kids. I don't think he even suspected me. So trusting.

No comments: